Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rainy Day Activities

I'm not a big fan of rainy Saturdays, but every once in a while it's not such a bad thing to have your plans all messed up by a day of "flood-like" rains that keep you stuck inside all morning.

The best part of a rainy Saturday is by far sleeping in. I woke up at 8:30 and Lilli (and Brent) didn't wake up until 9. Nice!!! I think we all needed some extra sleep on Saturday. After breakfast Lilli gave Pippin a bit of a make-over.I made the mistake of showing her the new Tshirt I had gotten her at BabyGap - a Pippin shirt! They had a long sleeve one this winter, and Gymboree had a whole line last summer that I bought for her to wear this summer. Pippin is becoming high fashion! I am pretty sure this is going to be her new favorite shirt. Of course that was the only thing she wanted to wear....
The finished product. Obviously it didn't keep him from rainy day napping.
For something a little new to do we made our own playdough. Most of the recipes on the internet involved some cooking but this was one she could make from start to finish on her own. And since it only has 3 ingredients (flour, salt, water) it's not like it was a big investment.

From the front side of the pictures she looks all cute, from the backside it's a different story! Maybe she will be a newscaster one day!
The recipe couldn't have been easier and I let her measure everything out on her own. She was so proud of herself! She was also proud of this Pottery Barn Kids Halloween apron I snagged for her after the holiday last year. It's so cute and I think I got it for about $3!

Pouring the water in....
Stirring it all together....
The finished product! Playdough! It's not quite the same texture as regular Play Doh, but she had a blast and I'd give the recipe a thumbs up. I did dye some of it yellow but it did rub off your hands some (but completely washed off). I still wouldn't recommend dying it just because it makes a bit more of a mess. She played with it for about a half an hour after we were finished, so this was a great little project and a nice distraction from the messy weather outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment