Sunday, May 8, 2011

Good Eats

Here's a few of our new favorite recipes we've tried lately. We got a little off our meal plan the week Pippin was so sick and mostly just had quick frozen junk at home several nights that week.We made this tuna casserole from scratch one night. It was a whole lot better than casseroles made out of all the creamed of everything soups. Brent really liked it and I thought it was pretty good. I think it would be better if you cooked it covered with foil so the cheese stayed a little more gooey.
This Jamaican Jerk grilled chicken was delicious. We got it all ready and let it marinade all night and all day while we were at work. I grilled it on the George Foreman and it was so moist and juicy! It may have been even better the next day for our leftovers.
We like fancy tacos any which way you serve them, and these fish tacos were to die for. I followed the recipe as is. I think one of the things that really made it was the nice cut of tilapia Brent got from the meat department. It wouldn't have been nearly as good if we'd used the frozen ones from Kroger versus fresh fish. The toppings and sauce were great!!
We made this recipe for pork carnitas the following week to use the rest of the adobo peppers. We got a huge cut of pork from the butcher for a great price and split it into three separate pieces. This massive cut was only $7 and it will make this meal three times! And the house smelled great from it cooking all day in the crock pot when we got home, too!
For Cinco de Mayo we made this Mexican dish. I'm not really sure I would call it all that Mexican, but it was really good and very easy. I didn't cook it nearly as long as it said to, I think we cooked it around 16 minutes instead of 23. And the sour cream and salsa on top were a nice touch.
In other news we joined a CSA. We are SO excited about it! Ironically, the food will be coming from Brent's home town. We actually have gotten eggs and other things from there at our local organic store before. After watching the movie Food, Inc a month or two ago I've swapped and started buying all our meat and produce in the organic area of the store, and I've been interested in joining a CSA for a while. This one is through work, and they'll deliver our weekly produce and meat to a lady in another division who is organizing it each Wednesday. It looks like our produce this week will be lettuce, strawberries, onions and broccoli and some other veggies. I can't wait to get our box! I figured lettuce and strawberries would be in there, so I didn't get them this week at the store. We'll also be getting a dozen eggs each week, so ours are on ration right now so we make it until Wednesday! It was a bit harder to menu plan this week since I don't know exactly what meat cuts we'll get, so I will probably use my freezer stockpile the first of the week and then really plan next week's menu with this week's delivery and continue on that way. It's going to be a really fun challenge to use everything each week and I am very glad we'll be eating more locally, and that our animals and produce will be grown in humane ways. After watching Food Inc I will never, ever buy another item from Tyson, Perdue or Smithfield ever again. It's really, really awful.
We also had the lady from Faithful Provisions come and do a lecture at work a few weeks ago on saving money at the grocery store. I already use coupons on things we need but she did offer up some really good advice and tips on really maximizing your savings. I usually spend between $100-$150/wk on groceries. We buy a lot of milk, cheese and produce and that really adds up. I save about 17-20% each week with my coupons, usually around $25-$30 so I'm doing pretty good, and I usually get 2-3 things for free now using her tips. We've watched a few episodes of the Extreme Couponing show and those ladies are nuts. I have no desire to ever have a stockpile of 70 bottles of mustard, no matter how cheap it is, and the underneath of our beds will never be lined with thousands of rolls of toilet paper! Brent's mad enough at me that one of my deals got us a huge bundle of one-ply toilet paper, which is a mistake I will never make again.

* All these pics are from around Easter, I have a lot of catching up to do on here!

No comments:

Post a Comment