Sunday, June 13, 2010

Weekend Stuffs

I can't believe another weekend is ending!! It has been a HOT one here. Friday at lunch I needed to pick up some books at the library, so I ended up walking around downtown and taking in the sights and sounds of the CMA festival that has completely clogged up our traffic all week. Here's some people enjoying the music outside the arena.I walked probably a little over a mile outside and was pouring sweat before I got back to work. I was very thankful for the free McCafe drinks and apples they were giving out! A number of people have had issues with the heat this year, and every time I've been out last week you can just hear emergency sirens.

Here's the view of people enjoying the riverfront stages. (There are numerous stages set up around downtown.) The river looks VERY different from last month - the entire area where people were sitting was under water! I will be so glad when the festival ends tonight!!! There's been the fireworks every night at 11:45 pm, the fighter jets flying over every night at 8 when the main concerts start, and the TONS of awful, awful traffic and road closures.
Friday night we made plans to go out to dinner with Liam and his parents. Liam is a little younger than Lilli (I think he's right at 15 months and she's almost 17 months.) They live pretty close to us in the neighborhood and we've gotten to know them a little at birthday parties and other school events. We **thought** Lilli would enjoy going out to dinner with one of her friends. Note that Liam is smiling and Lilli has her paci in. Ugh.
She was AWFUL! She started crying and climbing out of her seat before our food even came. She NEVER does that. I can't even remember the last time she's acted up at a restaurant!! She had been in a bad mood the last two days, and even her teachers had said she'd just been extra sensitive. She does have a couple more teeth coming in, but normally that doesn't make her this ill in public. She didn't eat much and just wouldn't sit in her seat - she wanted to squirm around, sit in my lap and throw food the whole time, and just generally FUSS. It was so horribly embarrassing, probably even more so because Liam was being his sweet self (like usual) and she was being the awful toddler! I did enjoy getting to know Liam's mom better and talking about a lot of the things we have in common - besides living in the same neighborhood and kids in the same school class, she's also a CPA. It's always nice hanging out with fellow working moms who have a lot of the same challenges and balancing act that we have.

Afterwards we let the kids run around outside. Liam isn't walking yet, but he can move along the fence and cruise along holding onto stuff. For some reason this woman thought it was completely ok to take Lilli's pacifier out. Why do people think they can have an opinion on whether or not my child has a pacifier??? We only let her have it now in the car and when she's sleeping - unless she's throwing massive fits like she had been all night. Given the choice between attempting to enjoy a meal out and letting her have a paci, or letting her clear the restaurant and NOT have one - well, we'll give her the pacifier. People have given us their opinions on pacifiers since the day she was born, and I hate to tell them but I couldn't care less! I probably would have said something totally awful and wrong to her if we hadn't already ruined Liam's family's night.
Seriously, she talked to Lilli forever. It was odd. Lilli just stood there looking at her and wouldn't take her pacifier back from her. Some strangers just freak her out and this woman was one of them. Rightly so.
Well, we tried to have a nice night out anyway! It's probably doubtful they would want to go out with us again, but we'll probably hit the playgrounds together some this summer. I'm sure they didn't believe us that she is normally so well behaved in restaurants! Oh well!

She's still making some awful smile faces....
This sweet little yellow dress barely made it this morning! She had an enormous poop this morning during church that nearly became a total blowout. It was AWFUL and I think I deserve a medal for containing it and not destroying the dress or my outfit. I let her walk back in and she almost melted when I steered her into our pew as she wanted to head straight to the front instead....
Her arm has two AWFUL mosquito bites you can see on it. They've been there since about Wednesday and I need to ask her doctor what we can put on them. They don't seem to irritate her but they just look terrible. Our mosquitoes this year seem to be so much worse.

Lots more pictures to share from the weekend later, but 5 am is going to be here before I know it. UGH.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a rough time out.
    I don't think you should ever been embarrassed if you child if having an off day, who cares what strangers think!

    Everything will get better once the teeth are in!

    ReplyDelete