Saturday, July 31, 2010

All About the Titans

Brent said my day today was all about the Titans, so I guess that's a fitting title for today!

We woke up around 7:30 to some storms moving in, and Lilli woke up around 8. The rain didn't last long and afterwards it was SO steamy all day. I took her to a Kids Day Event at Lifeway around 11. A new VeggieTales movie came out today, so we had a little event where they show the movie and give out some snacks and some items are on a 1-day special. I had never taken her before and when I got there I realized I had my camera - but no battery or memory card! And it was so cute - there were probably 15-20 other kids there and since this was a princess movie they gave out little tiaras to the girls. Anyway, she had a great time and probably watched about 20 or so minutes of the movie before she started moving everything around in the store and we came home for lunch and nap.

I swear I have about 5,000 pictures exactly like this.Single game tickets went on sale for the Titans this morning at 10. Every single game over the past 10 (or 11) seasons has sold out, and it's pretty stinking hard to get tickets. Some people with nothing better to do have even been camped out at the Stadium since Tuesday in line. (Seriously, get a life.) Two years ago we were out riding bikes, training for a 50K, when tickets went on sale and got a couple - which is the only game we've been to together. This morning I was passing through the kitchen about 10 after 10 and remembered tickets had just gone on sale so I logged on really quickly and was able to find a game that still had 2 seats left together (most games had already sold out - there were only a few left to pick from!) I ended up getting us two nosebleed tickets to a game in late October - I think it's versus Philadelphia. Kids under 2 are free and can sit in our lap, so as long as it's a nice day in October Lilli will get to wear her Titans cheerleader outfit to an actual game!

On the website I had noticed today was the first day of public practice. The practice complex is just a couple of miles away, so I figured it would be some free fun for us to go to and get out of Brent's hair while he was working on the deck. Practice was from 3:30-5:30 so we loaded up and headed over around 3:45.

I know little to nothing about football, and really don't care much for it. I've always thought the practice facility aka The Bubble looks pretty cool so I was excited to get to go inside it. And it was BLAZING hot today - 95 degrees at 4 pm - so I thought this would be a nice, air conditioned outing for us. Um, wrong. I still don't know what's in The Bubble because practice is outside on their very lovely field next to the River. Ooops.

Luckily in my enormous, 50 pound diaper bag I keep two different types of sunscreen so we were able to lather up. I had no clue what to expect - all kinds of people showed up with coolers and blankets and chairs. We just showed up.In my little mind there would be very few people there, it would be nice and climate controlled with cushy chairs inside the Bubble and Lilli would be so adorable that we got interviewed by all the networks and got lots of pictures with the players, the famous ones. In reality most of Nashville was there, it was sunny with no shade and 95 degrees, and the players were so far off I couldn't even tell you who was who. I did see "the guy with the long dreads" that I remember seeing a lot on TV last year. Lilli was mostly interested in playing with sunscreen and saying Hi to everyone around us. And climbing the fence. We watched from this great little grassy spot for probably 30-45 minutes. The crowd stretched completely around the field and the fence was lined with spectators. We were able to score a nice little grassy spot which worked out great since we had to sit on the ground. This end was a little far away from the action, though.
Hot Toddler!
The areas closest to the main spots they were working out were very narrow, next to the River. It was really standing room only here with some small spots to stand and watch. Before we left we walked through here to get a closer look at the players.
I did some eavesdropping and reportedly this is our Defense.
And this is the offense. I recognize the one guy on the right with the long dreads. I tried to figure out who the quarterback is by looking at the #s on spectators jerseys and trying to find him, but never could. Brent said he would be wearing a red jersey and I don't recall ever seeing a red jersey out there.
We had fun! I would definitely go back - parking was super organized and it was just a nice relaxed time and free entertainment. We were SO sweaty when we got back to the car that I pulled into Taco Bell to get us a couple of frozen drinks. Mine was overtaken by Lilli! I think Brent enjoyed his surprise, too! I didn't get any pictures of the deck - another much stronger system with lots of lightning moved in around 8:30 tonight and it's been raining. He got one set of stairs done today and more of the balisters and railings. It was kind of slow going since he also had to finish and drop off his work for the Tomato Art Festival.
Then dinner - we decided we would try the new Steve's restaurant over here in East Nashville off Gallatin Road. Ugh. I wish we could change that decision. First of all they have NO kids menu which is just stupid. And their food is not cheap - literally we got 2 waters, I ended up having to get a Shrimp Dinner so I could split with Lilli (all it comes with is two sides and a piece of toast) and Brent got a Philly Cheese Steak and it cost us $29. That is ridiculous - we had a table full of great food last night at Waffle House for $12! The food is good but nothing special and their menu is pretty boring. And our waitress was new and clueless - and ended up spilling Brent's water all over him (literally she knocked his glass over in his lap). Everyone makes mistakes but I guess she was so embarrassed after that that she literally wouldn't ever come back over to us - so by the end of our meal we had nothing to drink and were ready to go! Not a good experience and needless to say we won't be back! Live and Learn!

I guess it's off to have some Titans dreams to end my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment